History of the Estate

  • The legacy of the Busch Family Estate dates back to 1903 when August Anheuser Busch, Sr., the son of German immigrant and beer entrepreneur, Adolphus Busch, first purchased this land – just 12 miles from the Anheuser-Busch brewery.

    • — 1839

    • Adolphus Busch On July 10, 1839, Adolphus Busch is born in Kastel, Germany, near Mainz in the duchy of Hesse. He is the second youngest of 22 children born to Ulrich Busch, a prosperous merchant, innkeeper and landowner.

    • — 1857

    • St. Louis, Missouri, in 1857 Adolphus Busch immigrates to the United States, coming to St. Louis via New Orleans and the Mississippi River.

    • — 1859

    • Adolphus Busch uses his inheritance to form the wholesale commission house of Wattenberg, Busch and Co. with Ernst Wattenberg. This later becomes Adolphus Busch & Co.

    • — 1861

    • On March 7, 1861, Adolphus Busch marries Lilly Anheuser. Shortly after marrying Lilly, Adolphus enlists for 3 months in the Union Army.

    • — 1864

    • Eberhard Anheuser Eberhard Anheuser, Adolphus Busch’s father-in-law, entices Adolphus to join the management of E. Anheuser & Co. Brewery.

    • — 1865

    • August Anheuser Busch, Sr. On December 29, 1865, August A. Busch, Sr., the eldest son of Adolphus and Lilly Busch is born.

    • — 1869

    • Adolphus Busch sells his interest in his wholesale house and purchases half ownership of William D’Oench in the brewery.

    • — 1879

    • Anheuser-Busch Refrigerated Train Car The E. Anheuser & Co. Brewery company is renamed Anheuser-Busch Brewing Association

    • — 1890

    • August A. Busch, Sr. marries Alice Ziesemann, daughter of a prominent St. Louis businessman.

    • — 1903

    • The land for the Busch Family Estate is purchased by August A. Busch, Sr.

    • — 1910

    • Bauernhof The Bauernhof is built. Its name, architecture and construction are borrowed from the “Old Country” and modeled after the traditional fortress farmsteads of Medieval Germany. The building originally accommodated a dairy barn, garage, horse stables and a carriage park with support rooms. Additionally, there were five apartments for servants and farm staff and a private clubhouse for the Busch family.

    • — 1912

    • The Busch Family Estate at Grant's Farm The architectural design of the Busch Family Estate is completed by St. Louis firm, Widmann and Walsh.

    • — 1913

    • The Busch Family Estate Construction on the Busch Family Estate is completed by Fruin and Colnon Construction Company. The house, which is a gift to August A. Busch, Sr., by his father, Adolphus, contains 25 rooms, including a reception hall, rear lobby, butler’s pantry and kitchen pantry.

    • — 1913

    • Adolphus Busch dies on October 10, 1913 and August A. Busch, Sr. becomes the President of Anheuser-Busch.

    • — 1933

    • Prohibition Ends in for Busch After 13 years, prohibition on the sale of beer is repealed on April 7, 1933.

    • — 1934

    • The Busch Family On February 13, 1934, August A. Busch, Sr. dies and is succeeded at the Brewery by his eldest son, Adolphus Busch, III.

    • — 1946

    • Gussie Busch August “Gussie” A. Busch, Jr. becomes the President of Anheuser-Busch.

    • — 1953

    • Stan Musial August A. Busch, Jr., the son of August A. Busch, Sr. purchases the St. Louis Cardinals Major League Baseball team.

    • — 1954

    • Grant’s Farm officially opens to the public for tours.

    • — 2014

    • The Busch Family For over 100 years, the Busch Family Estate has been hosting elegant occasions. In keeping with that tradition, we invite you to honor your next special occasion at this magnificent private estate.